- Bachelor of Science - Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics (Minor - Mathematics) - 2006 - University of Arizona
Summa Cum Laude and Honors
- Master of Science - Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics - 2007 - University of Arizona
- Certificate - Stanford Ignite: Powering Innovation and Entrepreneurship - 2011 - Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Doctor of Medicine - 2014 - Stanford University School of Medicine
Concentration: Community Health
- Resident in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - 2014 to Present - University of Washington
- Fulbright Fellowship - 2007 - University of Zurich, Switzerland - Laboratory of Andreas Pluckthun
- David L Boren Fellowship - 2010 - Advanced Albanian Language Studies in Albania and The Republic of Kosovo
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Medical Research Fellow - 2011 - Stanford University School of Medicine - Laboratory of Michael T. Longaker
- Plastic Surgery Foundation Pilot Grant - 2016 - University of Washington School of Medicine - "Perception of Facial Femininity and Outcomes after Facial Feminization Surgery."
A complete list of my publications can be found on PubMed, but are listed below with links.
1) Morrison SD, Roberts S, Zegeer A, Montfort W, and Bandarian V. “New use for a familiar fold: the X-ray crystal structure of GTP-bound GTP cyclohydrolase III from Methanocaldococcus jannaschii reveals a two metal ion catalytic mechanism.” Biochemistry. 2008 Jan 8; 47(1): 230-42.
2) Morrison SD, Banushi VH, Sarnquist C, Gashi VH, Osterberg L, Maldonado Y, and Harxhi A. “Barriers to Care and Current Medical and Social Needs of HIV-Positive Patients in Albania.” Central European Journal of Public Health. 2011 Jun; 19(2): 91-7.
3) Morrison SD, Banushi VH, Sarnquist C, Gashi VH, Osterberg L, Maldonado Y, and Harxhi A. “Levels of Self-Reported Depression and Anxiety Among HIV-Positive Patients in Albania: A Cross-Sectional Study” Croatian Medical Journal. 2011 Oct 15; 52(5): 622-28.
4) Ko SH, Nauta A, Morrison SD, Zhou H, Zimmermann A, Gurtner GC, Ding S, and Longaker MT. “Antimycotic Ciclopirox Olamine in the Diabetic Environment Promotes Angiogenesis and Enhances Wound Healing.” PLoS One. 2011; 6(11): e27844.
5) Morrison SD, Rashidi V, Banushi VH, Barbhaiya NJ, Gashi VH, Sarnquist C, Maldonado Y, and Harxhi A. “Cultural Adaptation of a Survey to Assess Medical Providers’ Knowledge of and Attitudes Towards HIV/AIDS in Albania.” PLoS One. 2013; 8(3): e59816.
6) Ndreu A, Kraja D, Bino S, Simaku A, Hatibi I, Çomo N, Harxhi A, Ohri I, Shytaj K, Kolovani E, Sula H, Pilaca A, Morrison SD, Rashidi V, and Mingomataj EC. “Clinical Findings in Albanian Patients with 2009 Influenza A H1N1 Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.” ISRN Emergency Medicine. 2013; ID 914840: 1-6.
7) Hyun J, Grova M, Nejadnik H, Lo D, Morrison SD, Montoro D, Zimmermann A, Walmsley GG, Lee M, Daldrup-H, Wan DC, and Longaker MT. “Enhancing In Vivo Survival of Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells Through Bcl-2 Overexpression Using a Minicircle Vector.” Stem Cells Transl Med. 2013 Sep;2(9):690-702.
8) Chung MT, Zimmermann AS, Paik KJ, Morrison SD, Hyun JS, Lo DD, McArdle A, Montoro DT, Walmsley GG, Senarath-Yapa K, Sorkin M, Rennert R, Chen HH, Chung AS, Vistnes D, Gurtner GG, Longaker MT, and Wan DC. “Isolation of Human Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells Using Laser-Assisted Liposuction and their Therapeutic Potential in Regenerative Medicine.” Stem Cells Transl Med. 2013 Oct;2(10):808-17.
9) Morrison SD, Zimmermann AS, Hu MS, Li S, Nauta A, Sorkin M, Meyer NP, Walmsley GG, Maan ZN, Chan DA, Gurtner GC, Giaccia AJ, and Longaker MT. “Epidermal or Dermal Specific Knockout of PHD-2 Enhances Wound Healing and Minimizes Ischemic Injury.” PLoS One. 2014; 9(4): e93373.
10) Morrison SD, Son J, Song J, Berger A, Kirby J, Ahdoot M, and Lee GK. “Modification of the Tube-in-Tube Pedicled Anterolateral Thigh Flap for Total Phalloplasty: The Mushroom Flap.” Ann Plas Surg. 2014; 72 Suppl 1: S22-6.
11) Wong RK, Morrison SD, Momeni A, Nykiel M, and Lee GK. “Outcomes of Breast Reconstruction in Breast Cancer Patients with a History of Mantle Radiation for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.” Ann Plas Surg. 2014; 72 Suppl 1: S46-50.
12) Morrison SD, Rashidi V, Sarnquist C, Banushi VH, Hole MK, Barbhaiya NJ, Gashi VH, Osterberg L, Maldonado Y, and Harxhi A. “Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence and Predictors to Adherence in Albania: A Cross-Sectional Study.” J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014; 8(7): 853-862.
13) Walmsley GG, Rinkevich Y, Hu MS, Montoro DT, Lo DD, McArdle A, Maan ZN, Morrison SD, Duscher D, Whittam AJ, Wong VW, Weissman IL, Gurtner GC, and Longaker MT. “Live Fibroblast Harvest Reveals Surface Marker Shift In Vitro.” Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2015; 21(3):314-21.
14) Morrison SD, Perez MG, Nedelman M, Crane CN. “Current State of Female-to-Male Gender Confirming Surgery.” Curr Sex Health Rep. 2015; 7:38-48.
15) Morrison SD, Perez MG, Carter CK, and Crane CN. “Pre- and Post-Operative Care with Associated Intra-Operative Techniques for Phalloplasty in Female-to-Male Patients.” Urologic Nursing. 2015; 35(3): 134-142.
16) Morrison SD and Swanson JW. “Surgical Justice.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 136(2): 291-292e.
17) Morrison SD, Satterwhite T, Grant DW, Kirby J, Laub Sr DR, VanMaasdam J. “Long-Term Outcomes of Rectosigmoid Neocolporrhaphy in Male-to-Female Gender Reassignment Surgery.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 136(2): 386-394.
18) Lipira AB, Sood RF, Tatman PD, Davis JI, Morrison SD, and Ko JH. “Complications Within 30 Days of Hand Surgery: An Analysis of 10,646 Patients.” J Hand Surg Am. 2015; 40(9):1852-1859.
19) Morrison SD. "The Care Transition in Plastic Surgery." Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 136(6): 861-862e.
20) Paik KJ, Maan ZN, Zielins ER, Duscher D, Whittam AJ, Morrison SD, Brett EA, Ransom RC, Hu MS, Wu JC, Gurtner GC, Longaker MT, and Wan DC. "Short Hairpin Silencing of PHD-2 Improves Neovascularization and Functional Outcomes in Diabetic Wounds and Ischemic Limbs." PLoS One. 2016; 11(3): e0150927.
21) Keeney M, Chung MT, Zielins ER, Paik KJ, McArdle A, Morrison SD, Ransom RC, Barbhaiya N, Atashroo D, Jacobson G, Zare RN, Longaker MT, Wan DC, and Yang F. “Scaffold-mediated BMP-2 Minicircle DNA Delivery Accelerated Bone Repair in a Mouse Critical-Size Calvarial Defect Model.” J Biomed Mater Res A. 2016; 104(8): 2099-107.
22) Morrison SD, Vyas KS, Motakef S, Gast KM, Chung MT, Rashidi V, Satterwhite T, Kuzon W, and Cederna PS. “Facial Feminization: Systematic Review of the Literature.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 137(6): 1759-1770.
23) Morrison SD, Chong HJ, Dy GW, Grant DW, Wilson SC, Brower JP, Vedder NB, Berli JU, Friedrich JB, and the Transgender Education Study Group. "Educational Exposure to Transgender Patient Care in Plastic Surgery Training." Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138(4): 944-953.
24) Morrison SD, Miranda SG, Liu Y, Sood RF, Gallagher T, Gougoutas AJ, Colohan SM, Louie O, Mathes DW, Neligan PC, and Said HK. "Improved Healthcare Economic Outcomes after Liposomal Bupivacaine Administration in First-Stage Breast Reconstruction." J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2016; 69(10): 1456-1457.
25) Morrison SD, Shakir A, Vyas KS, Kirby J, Crane CN, and Lee GK. “Phalloplasty: A Review of Techniques and Outcomes.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138(3): 594-615.
26) Dy GW, Osbun NC, Morrison SD, Grant DW, Merguerian PA, and the Transgender Education Study Group. "Exposure to and Attitudes Regarding Transgender Education Among Urology Residents." J Sex Med. 2016; 13(10): 1466-1472.
27) Vyas, KS, Rajendran S, Morrison SD, Shakir A, Mardini S, Lemaine V, Nahabedian MY, Baker SB, Rinker BD, and Vasconez HC. “Systematic Review of Liposomal Bupivacaine (Exparel) for Postoperative Analgesia.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138(4): 748e-756e.
28) Wilson SC, Stranix JT, Khurana K, Morrison SD, Levine JP, and Zhao LC. “Fasciocutaneous Flap Reinforcement of Ventral Onlay Buccal Mucosa Grafts Enables Neophallus Revision Urethroplasty.” Ther Adv Uro. 2016;8(6):331-337.
29) Pet MA, Morrison SD, Mack JS, Sears ED, Wright T, Lussiez AD, Means KR, Higgins JP, Ko JH, Cederna PS, and Kung TA. “Comparison of Patient-Reported Outcomes after Traumatic Upper Extremity Amputation: Replantation versus Prosthetic Rehabilitation.” Injury. 2016;47(12):2783-2788.
30) Morrison SD, Shakir A, Vyas KS, Remington AC, Mogni B, Wilson SC, Grant DW, Cho DY, Rahnemai-Azar AA, Lee GK, Friedrich JB, and Mardini S. “Penile Replantation: A Retrospective Analysis of Outcomes and Complications.” J Reconstr Microsurg. 2017;33(4):227-232.
31) Morrison SD, Liu Y, and Said HK. “Reply to Letter to the Editor regarding article by Miranda et al.” J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70(3):427-428.
32) Morrison SD, Crowe CS, and Wilson SC. “Consistent Quality of Life Outcome Measures are Needed for Facial Feminization Surgery.” J Craniofac Surg. 2017;28(3):851-852.
33) Massie JP, Morrison SD, Smith JR, Wilson SC, and Satterwhite T. “Patient-Reported Outcomes in Gender Confirming Surgery” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(1):236e-237e.
34) Vyas KS, Hambrick HR, Shakir A, Morrison SD, Tran DC, Pearson K, Vasconez HC, Mardini S, Gosman AA, Dobke M, and Granick MS. “A Systematic Review of the Use of Telemedicine in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Dermatology.” Ann Plast Surg. 2017;78(6):736-768.
35) Cho DY, Massie JP, and Morrison SD. “Ethnic Considerations for Rhinoplasty in Facial Feminization.” JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2017;19(3):243.
36) Morrison SD, Dy GW, Chong HJ, Holt SK, Vedder NB, Sorensen MD, Joyner BD, and Friedrich JB. “Transgender-Related Education in Plastic Surgery and Urology Residency Programs.” J Grad Med Educ. 2017;9(2):178-183.
37) Morrison SD, Wilson SC, and Smith JR. “Are We Adequately Preparing Our Trainees to Care for Transgender Patients?” J Grad Med Educ. 2017;9(2):258.
38) Berli JU, Capitán L, Simon D, Bluebond-Langner R, Plemons E, and Morrison SD. “Facial Gender Confirmation Surgery – Review of the Literature and Recommendations for Version 8 of the WPATH Standards of Care.” International Journal of Transgenderism. 2017
39) Morrison SD, Chen ML, and Crane CN. “A Overview of Female-to-Male Gender-Confirming Surgery.” Nat Rev Urol. 2017;14(8):486-500.
40) Chaiet SR, Morrison SD, Streed CG. “Gender Confirmation Surgery and Terminology in Transgender Health.” JAMA Surg. 2017.
41) Smith JR, Morrison SD, Gottlieb LJ. “Are Surgical Residents Prepared for Fellowship Training in Gender-Confirming Surgery?” J Sex Med. 2017;14:1066-1067.
42) Morrison SD, Crowe CS, Rashidi V, Massie JP, Chaiet SR, and Francis DO. “Beyond Phonosurgery: Considerations for Patient-Reported Outcomes and Speech Therapy in Transgender Vocal Feminization.” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157(2):349.
43) Morrison SD, Ascha M, Massie JP, Crane CN, and Chen ML. “Outcomes of Single-Staged Phalloplasty by Pedicled Anterolateral Thigh Flap versus Radial Forearm Free Flap in Gender-Confirming Surgery.” J Urol. 2017